08 January 2010

The Crimson Theory.

As a child, I spent many Saturday nights watching my father neglect dinner. It's not that he doesn't like to eat. In fact, he has spent most of my life tidying up whatever we didn't eat of family dinner. Leftovers, in my father's brain, are kind of a waste. Yet whenever his Auburn Tigers ran out onto the field, the food would wait. He loved his team. Correction, he LOVES his team. He watches the pre-game and the post-game show.  My mom, who also went to Auburn and grew up in a football obsessed family, also enjoyed the football games. She, however, could eat.
I grew up an Auburn Tiger. I grew up singing Bottagetta and saying War Eagle during kick-offs. Mostly, I grew up hating the Alabama Crimson Tide. I grew up ignoring people in Alabama sweatshirts. I still feel a great desire to honk at people driving cars with ugly crimson A's on them. My Calculus teacher says that if you have made up your mind about something by age 12, there is a 78% chance you will never change it.
Though her statistics are becoming more and more far-fetched, this one I think are reliable. I made up my mind at the age of three about the way I feel about Crimson, and still today it stands strong.
My number one college choice is the University of Texas at Austin. Their rival is Oklahoma. Who wear what color? Crimson. My reach school is Yale University. Their rival is Harvard. Who wear what color? Crimson. Even my back up schools have blue colors. I have chosen schools that neglect and deny any spiritwear caked in that wretched color. I don't own a single piece of crimson clothing. And I have never done an art piece with Crimson.
My hatred for Crimson runs deep. So last night, watching the BCS Championship Game, I was fuming. When Colt McCoy walked off the field, I cursed the color that did that to him. When we had to put in our baby freshman quarterback, I begged him to beat on the Crimson on the other side of the line.  I fought, hard and long against that Alabama team I had grown up detesting, but they still won. They didn't beat Auburn. It was worse. For once, they were beating MY team. Not my parents team. Not my grandparents team.

I hate alabama.

No comments:

Post a Comment